Toilet Ek Premkatha, may be topic of the Film but inspired by the Hon`ble Prime Minister Mission of the Swatch Bharat. Defecation in open is also the health hazardous. Hence, the National Highways Authority of India has provided toilet facilities at 192 toll plazas across the country, while the remaining 180 toll plazas will be covered by the end of March, 2019. Under the Government of India’s Flagship Programmes Swachh Bharat Mission, NHAI is providing separate ladies and gents toilets on both upside and down side of each of its 372 toll plazas, and also placing litterbins and hoardings carrying the Swachhta message along with message discouraging littering at these sites.
NHAI has observed both the current Swachhta Pakhwada from 16th-31st January as well as the earlier one from 16-31st July, 2017, and proposes to achieve the target of providing toilet facilities at every toll plaza during the final year of the Swachh Bharat Mission . The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways is monitoring the progress in this regard.
The following activities have been undertaken under the current Swachhta Pakhwada between 16th -31st January, 2018 at all the toll plazas along National Highways:
- Making toll plazas free of open defecation
- Provision of temporary toilets at toll plazas during the Pakhwada
- Swachhta Pakhwada Awareness Workshops
- Making all road-side Dhabas litter free with well-maintained hygiene
- Special cleanliness drive/Mega road cleaning event/Shramdan
- Generation of less waste during road building
- Issuing circular to the companies to maintain adequate sanitation facilities during the road and bridge construction.
- Litter free construction sites.
- Display of Swachhta message through banners, posters and hoardings.
- Tree plantation and ensuring maintenance and growth.
- Awards for functionaries of SBM.
- Outdated posters along highways to be removed as these add to clutter and also distract road users.