Very often we have heard speakers stressing on “Doubling Farm’s Income”. Many people have stressed the use of more than one ways which would ensure profitable income for the farmers.
Lately, Krishi Jagran had the opportunity to meet Mr. Yogendra Kumar, who has been appointed as the Marketing Director of IFFCO. Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) is one of India's biggest cooperative society which is wholly owned by Indian Cooperatives.
Founded in 1967 with just 57 cooperatives, today IFFCO is an amalgamation of over 36,000 Indian Cooperatives with diversified business interests ranging from General Insurance to Rural Telecom, apart from the core business of manufacturing and selling fertilizers.
Mr Yogendra stresses on these five points, for a good and profitable agriculture business, following which the farmers can be independent and find new confidence in their agricultural business:
- Soil is the most important factor to consider when a farmer thinks to favour any particular crop/ plant on his/her land. It hence is imperative that the condition of the soil is judged nicely before dedicating it to crop. For that, Farmers should vouch for proper Soil testing. SOIL TESTING gives us actual nutrient ingredient of the soil. The soil can then be fed with the nutrients which it falls short of. The nutrients can be added with the proper concentration of fertilizers. Proper analysis of the report should be done and hence the fertilizer should be used.
- Combination of chemical, organic and biological manure i.e. compost should be used. One form of specific manure might not be able to serve the purpose of the nutrition to the soil and this way also saves the quality of the soil.
- Farmers should go for integrated farming, Cash crop along with pulses should be grown. This would ensure high productivity and good income.
- Domestication of diary animals gives a year round supplement to agriculture. While crops and vegetables have their differences with season, animal husbandry can be taken as a secondary source of income. Dairy also provides sufficient amount of manure for the farm in the form of cow dung.
- Farmers should plant these 5 trees, which gives benefits from each part of ite leaves, stem , branches and hence also acts as a subsidiary for increasing farmer’s income :
a) NEEM Tree
b) BAEL / Wood Apple Tree
c) GUAVA Tree
d) MANGO Tree
e) AMLA Tree
Though our Prime Minister has a vision to double farmer's income by 2022. But Mr. Yogendra stresses that if our farmers will adopt these five points, income of farmers can be double well before time.