Today, hygiene and sanitation are the major problems affecting all cities and villages equally. Heaps of garbage and dung is a common sight. This brings about insanitation in the village surroundings and becomes a potent cause of a number of deadly diseases. All this waste can be converted into precious manures through composting. This will also help in keeping so many diseases away from the village society.
The advantages of composting are as :
- Environmental sanitation. By composting we can maintain a clean environment in and around a house and the whole village.
- We can produce very valuable organic manure. Indian soils are poor in organic matter content. By conscious composting of organic wastes and incorporating them into the soil we can place back most of the organic materials that are taken out of the land. This will be a perfect recycling of organic matter.
- We can control all the diseases caused by insanitary conditions and put an end to all types of human suffering and life lost due to such diseases. Diseases such as dysentery, cholera, typhoid, diarrhoea, tetenus, scabes are spread among the people due to insanitary conditions in the villages. Millions of people and animals are affected by such diseases causing untold sufferings. Compost is the easiest and cheapest method of controlling these disease.
- We can save money which is spent on medicines used for treating diseases caused by insanitary conditions.
- The expenses on chemical fertilizers can be cut down. Through composting, millions and millions of tonnes of compost can be produced which will provide a sizeable proportion of the major nutrients (NPK) and the whole amount of micronutrients can be recycled into the soil.
- Incidents of internal parasites of human beings and animals can be reduced. Parasites such as tapeworm, hookworm, liver fluke etc. are common in areas where insanitary conditions prevail. These parasites can be easily controlled by this method of composting.
- Fly infestation is reduced. Flies are so common in Indian villages and they spread the germs causing diarrhoea, dysentery, cholera, etc. They infest animal and human houses and lay eggs in the wounds of animals.
- Maintain a healthy environment. When all the decaying materials are properly disposed off the environment becomes clean. Nothing will be rot- ting in the open air.
- Water and air pollution is reduced. It present water and air pollution is a major concern for all the people. When the environment is clean there is very little chance of water and air getting polluted.
- Composting is the cheapest method of waste disposal and recycling. The composting box can be made of any available material in the village and construction can be done by even unskilled labourers.
Filling the boxes with wastes and composting does not require any special effort or additional time. Once these wastes are disposed off into the boxes till they are decomposed, there is nothing to be done. Even women and children can do this type of composting.