1. Home
  2. News

Kerala Bans Fresh Food Packets Without Expiry Date

Kerala Government has banned the sale of fresh food packets without expiry date written on them amongst the increasing incidents of food poisoning all over the state.

Stuti Das
The sticker or label should contain the date and time when the meal was prepared as well as the recommended consumption window
The sticker or label should contain the date and time when the meal was prepared as well as the recommended consumption window

The sale of food packages without slips or tags indicating the expiration date has been outlawed in Kerala by the state government. The ban was imposed on Saturday, January 21, by Health Minister Veena George in response to an increase in food poisoning cases in the state.

As released in the press by the Kerala Government, food packaging without a slip or label containing a reminder about food hygiene and food safety shouldn't be marketed in the state. The sticker or label should contain the date and time when the meal was prepared as well as the recommended consumption window.

The decision was taken in the middle of the state's continuing crackdown against restaurants and cafés which serve tainted food. Food that is categorized as a high-risk hot food must be eaten within two hours of preparation, as per the Food Safety and Standards Regulations. 

Even during transportation to destinations where certain foods require more time to arrive, the temperature ought to be maintained at 60 degrees. If such items are kept at room temperature for longer than two hours, they are liable towards becoming unhealthy and unsafe for consumption.

Following a meal at a restaurant in the North Paravoor of the Ernakulam district, 68 people with food poisoning symptoms were recently brought to various hospitals. On January 2, a nurse from Kottayam Medical College reportedly ate food from a local eatery before passing away. She was one of 21 customers who were ill after eating at the same restaurant, but they were all well again. The restaurant was eventually closed, and the authorities detained both the owner and head cook.

Approximately 100 residents in Pathanamthitta are thought to have contracted food poisoning on January 1 after attending a baptism event at a church close to the Keezhvaipur neighborhood of the district. The government has claimed to have penalized the responsible catering services.

Take a Quiz on Green Revolution Take a quiz
Share your comments
FactCheck in Agriculture Project

Subscribe to our Newsletter. You choose the topics of your interest and we'll send you handpicked news and latest updates based on your choice.

Subscribe Newsletters