1. Agriculture World

Bihar’s Makhana to get GI Tag Soon, Exporters & Traders to get the Most Benefit

Sugandh Bhatnagar
Sugandh Bhatnagar
Makhana or Fox Nuts

Bihar's famous Makhana or fox nuts may soon get GI tag. By getting Geographical Indication, Makhana will get global recognition and it will also be exported in large quantities, which will directly benefit the Makhana farmers of the state. It is discussed that it will get GI tag as 'Makhana of Bihar'.

The Central Government held its meeting in Patna and settled the necessary work in this regard. The veracity of the claims of the applicant was stamped in the meeting. The applicants also informed the officials about the specialty and qualities of Makhana.

Actually, Mithilanchal Makhana Producer Group had applied for GI tag. The executives of the consulting group had also called the producer group to participate in the meeting. The group also presented facts related to the history and production of Makhana.

Benefits of Getting a GI Tag

After getting the GI tag, Makhana can be marketed from anywhere. At the same time, no other state will be able to claim this product. 

This will benefit the makhana growing farmers of the state as they will get a global market and new identity. This will have a direct impact on their income.

According to the report, if Makhana gets the GI tag, then it will be the fifth agricultural product of Bihar, which has got the GI tag. Earlier, Katari Rice, Jardalu Mango, Shahi Litchi and Magahi Paan have got GI tag.

Bihar Produces 6000 tonnes of Makhana

Bihar produces 85 percent of the world's Makhana. Every year the farmers of the state produce 6000 tonnes of makhana. The remaining 15 percent is grown in Japan, Germany, Canada, Bangladesh and China. 

Efforts are also being made to further increase the production of Makhana in Bihar. Work is also being done to develop new and improved varieties of it. After getting the GI tag, farmers will be able to increase their earnings manifold by increasing production.

Like this article?

Hey! I am Sugandh Bhatnagar. Did you liked this article and have suggestions to improve this article? Mail me your suggestions and feedback.

Share your comments

Subscribe to our Newsletter. You choose the topics of your interest and we'll send you handpicked news and latest updates based on your choice.

Subscribe Newsletters