The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries.
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Research Assistant to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Collect information from different CIMMYT Programs and outside collaborators.
- Supervision and follow up of the activities from the network with collaborators in Mexico that will contribute to the national wheat value chain by promoting the adoption of improved varieties recently released (e.g. visits to outside collaborators, experimental locations, farmers’ fields, etc.).
- Coordinate with ‘MasAgro-Productor’ hubs network for the dissemination of best germplasm for farmers across the wheat growing areas of Mexico.
- Develop internal technical documentation and deliverables.
- Answer any technical aspect enquired by the auditors and should attend any audit meeting in the calendar year.
- Be responsible of the technical aspects of the collaborative agreement writing, report writing and further following up.
- Assist in the selection of breeding materials in collaboration with Bread Wheat Breeding team.
- Assist screening CIMMYT germplasm for lodging resistance.
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role (e.g. paper work related to the previous duties, supporting physiology team activities, data collation, statistical analysis and summary, etc.)
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor degree in Agronomy or equivalent.
- Previous experience working under field conditions.
- Previous experience working under the national agricultural research system of Mexico and understanding of the Mexican wheat producing system.
- Able to report to supervisors and establish contact with immediate colleagues and outside collaborators.
- Strong communication skills are required for this position.
- Basic level in English language.
- Sufficient competency to use MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- Skills and experience compiling databases in excel and basic data curation and statistical analysis.
- Willing to travel inside Mexico and work remotely for periods during the growing season.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Time Management, Teamwork and Achievement Orientation.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18182 Research Assistant. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, June 21, 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (email@example.com).
Please refer to the website for more information: www.cimmyt.org