1. News

Woohoo Doodh uses Recyclable Paper based Packaging for consumers

Chander Mohan
Chander Mohan

To overcome the menace of the plastic packed milk, Woohoo Doodh, India’s first fresh milk brand to introduce Gable Top packaging, is following the ‘Pack Back’ option for its customers. The farm fresh milk brand has been collecting empty cartons from their consumers and contributing in the process of being an eco-friendly brand that is doing their bit for the environment. After collection of the cartons the company takes it back and ensures a proper disposal. 

The brand is India’s first milk company to initiate Recyclable Paper based packaging since its inception in 2015.  Happy Beverages and Foods Pvt Ltd. was incorporated by Rahul Uppal in November 2014 and launched its first brand - Woohoo Doodh in May 2015. The company was started with a vision to home deliver pure milk within 24 hours of milking with nil preservatives, chemicals, antibiotics or hormones and an eco-friendly model. The brand is India’s first milk company to initiate Recyclable Paper based packaging solution since its inception. 

The brand has combined contemporary & innovative products like A2 milk coupled with home delivery, customer service and nature aligned farming practices. In order to maintain quality standards, the milk is processed; packed and home delivered to its consumers within 24 hours of milking. The Woohoo team works with farmers and ensure they follow certain laid down practices that ensure yield of unadulterated milk along with providing the farmers with incentives for following sustainable practices like open farming, not administering any external hormones to the cows, feeding the cows freshly cut green fodder and hygienic milking practices. The brand was aimed to make everyone — cows, farmers, consumers and team happy. The brand tagline, “Milk Made by Happy Cows” is a true testimony to the brand spreading happiness all around it. 

As per a current market study, Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad requires around 13 lakh liters of milk daily. Most of the milk is primarily served in plastic pouches. Woohoo doodh supplies to 1500 households in Pune & PCMC and has contributed close to 1 million liters of milk since its inception. Even though they are a growing startup, the brand has been working towards keeping the eco-system intact with its green initiative. 

Rahul Uppal, CEO Woohoo Doodh, started this company with an objective to design a business model with an idea to keep it sustainable all across the value chain which included having an environment friendly packaging. To ensure the same, they imported a Gable Top machine from California and partnered with Parkson's Packaging Ltd., which is India’s leading packaging company. 

He says, “In India before woohoo doodh, milk cartons used were aseptic as they have 35% thick aluminum foil layer that is very difficult to separate & recycle. Gable top is the most common milk packaging across the globe and is commonly called as a refrigerated milk carton. Since inception of woohoo doodh, we have maintained an eco-friendly packaging that contributes to our idea of ‘happyness’ – because ‘the Earth is happy, we are happy”.He adds, “We advocate the use of gable top across the industry and are open to helping new and upcoming brands with packaging.” 

Gable top consists of 3 layers, 1 thick layer of recyclable virgin paper pulp board which is 90 percent  of the carton. 2 thin layers on either side of the paperboard are of PE (Polyethylene) coating which is the remaining 10 percent  of the carton. Gable top can be easily shredded in any paper mill and can be segregated as paper waste from households. 

Like this article?

Hey! I am Chander Mohan. Did you liked this article and have suggestions to improve this article? Mail me your suggestions and feedback.

Share your comments

Subscribe to our Newsletter. You choose the topics of your interest and we'll send you handpicked news and latest updates based on your choice.

Subscribe Newsletters